TOP > Projects > Full Paper Archive > Web-Based Screening Tools for the Early Detection of Concentration and Hyperactivity Disorders

Projects

Web-Based Screening Tools for the Early Detection of Concentration and Hyperactivity Disorders

Summary:
This study aims to identify the characteristics of children detected as having Concentration and Attention and Hyperactivity Disorders. The methodology of the research was a questionnaire survey with a sample of 200 children. The data collection was conducted with web-based screening tools. The results of the study showed that there were 120 children (60%) who were confirmed to have impaired concentration and hyperactivity, and the remaining 80 children (40%) had no symptoms. In more detail, among the 120 children mentioned, there were 92 children (46%) who were likely to have ADHD, 12 children (6%) with moderate ADHD and 16 children (8%) with ADHD since childhood.

Keyword: Web-Based Screening Tools, Concentration and Hyperactivity Disorders, ADHD Children
Commentary from the CRNA President, Dr. Yoichi Sakakihara

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is among the most prevalent neuro-developmental disorders in children. The prevalence rate have ranged from 3 to 8 percent in the previous literatures. It is known that children with ADHD would later develop several other neuropsychiatric disorders such as conduct disorder, depression, and anxiety disorder unless treated early.

Early detection of the presence of ADHD among young children is quite important not only because it would lead to neuropsychiatric complications, but proper provision of remedial care could prevent such complications. Early detection among children is, however, a hard task since surveillance takes time and money.

In "Web-based screening tools for the early detection of concentration and hyperactivity disorders" the author employed a non-expensive and useful screening method using a popular web-based inquiry form, and obtained a comparable estimate of the incidence of ADHD in Indonesia.

Since the subjects of the study were recruited in a voluntary basis through the internet, the subject population might not represent the general population of Indonesian children. Nonetheless the results were quite comparable with the previous literature. Among 200 subjects, 16 children (8%) were identified to have definite ADHD, and 12 children had a mild form of ADHD.

This web-based survey will be quite useful for the proper care and treatment of many children with ADHD in Indonesia.




>>Read the full article (PDF)
https://www.childresearch.net/projects/pdf/projects_fullpaper_2020_04.pdf

This paper was originally delivered as a paper presentation at the Third International Conference of Child Research Network Asia (CRNA), held in September, 2019 in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Write a comment


*CRN reserves the right to post only those comments that abide by the terms of use of the website.

Facebook

Japan Today

CRN Child Science Exchange Program in Asia

About CRN

About Child Science

Links

Honorary Director's Blog

Recommended